Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Michael's Birth Story!

We are enjoying our new addition to our family! Michael is 2 weeks! He is too cute and are all loving every minute of him.

Michaels Birth Story:

Monday February 25, I went in for my 40 week visit! (I have never gone this long with any of my pregnancies) There was no change at all in terms of dilation and Mr.Michael was still facing up, nose towards the ceiling. I was in a lot of pain, I could barely walk, turning in bed hurt, heartburn like crazy, back pain and I didn't think my belly could take anymore growing. So! My doctor asked if I was ready to have the baby and if so, when? I said Today?! and he replied, "How about tomorrow?" I said Sooooounds good! We set a 6:30am induction for the next morning. The girls were so excited to hear their brother was finally coming and maybe a little more excited to be having a sleepover with Vincent, Sarah and baby Gabe! ;)  It was hard to leave my girls, I was the only one upset when we said goodnight.

We woke up bright and early Tuesday morning, the slacker that I am packed my hospital bags, we had breakfast and, headed to the hospital! I'm not sure why they have you 'check in' a few weeks before your due date, cause you still have to stand there awkwardly while they type stuff in before they will buzz you in the door.
Anyways! I had an awesome nurse, you always have a special bond with your delivery nurse. If you deliver to Orem Community, request Allie! By 7:30am more questions were answered, blood drawn and IV's inserted, we were ready to have a baby!

I had invited my sister in law Megan to attend the birth, by the time she arrived I was having small contractions. Not yet in any real pain. I had been induced with Josephine and opted to NOT have an epidural, I had seen Leigh Ann give birth to her first son without an epidural and loved how alert she was afterwards. She was able to use the bathroom almost immediately and get her baby from the bassinet without needing to ask for assistance. I managed to do that with Josephine, loved how I felt afterwards and thought I would try it again!

At about 10:00am my Dr. came in to break my water, time for the real pain to commence! Shortly after the real pain started to come! My Mom had given me some tips on how to handle my back labor (since Michael was posterior, facing the wrong way I would have a lot of pain in my back along with the contractions), I have never experienced it before and did not know how painful it would be.

Skipping to the intense part of labor, around 1030am I was in so much pain. The contractions were super tough and painful, but, the back pain was worse then the contractions. I was doing my best to handle the pain, focusing on breathing, counting, pulling Spencers hair (sorry babe! :/ ) . I tried the ball, swaying, my nurse had be sit up while Megan or Spencer pushed on my shins to reduce my back pain. Which helped for about 10 minutes, then it was too much. Around 11 am I had my nurse check me to see where i was and I was only at 6 cm with all this pain and I was contemplating an epidural, I didn't think I could take anymore pain. After about 10 mins of fighting in my own mind about the epidural,  I broke down (upset that I was going to have to get an epidural). My nurse had me prep and be ready for the epidural man, she said he was just outside the door. My pain was so bad they ended up turning off the oxytocin to help me calm down and cope with the pain. After about what felt like forever of waiting for the anestesia I started feeling pressure which I thought was crazy since I was just checked, I didn't think that I could be ready to push already!
Well, Michael had other plans. I had now been off the oxytocin for 30 mins, the Epidural man had finally made his appearance, CALMLY and SLOWLY asked his questions, told me the risks and then handed me the paper to sign. I scribbled through a contraction, handed the paper back and had another contraction. I then yelled "I think I have to push!" and layed down on the bed, (which had not yet been converted ) Spencer said that he could see his head and with the next contraction pushed Michael out in a push and a half epidural free! And, hello world. It all happened SO fast, luckily my Dr. was there (I did not he was in the room!) managed to get one glove on and deliver my baby!




Happy Birthday little Michael Volk
February 26, 2013 11:37am

7lbs 9oz 20 in long





And, he's here! I was so lucky to have such a quick labor and delivery. We both did and are doing very well! I had no tears so no need for stitches, and Michael had Apgar scores of 8/9.(VERY good!) 



Because Michael came so fast, was posterior, and he turned as I was pushing he did have some bruising on his face.

Aunt Megan!

Well! There you go, Michael's birth story to the best of my knowledge. :)


The girls' meeting their baby brother!
(Megan has the pictures of Josie with Michael, she wasn't AS excited as Tori about her brother... haha)







I think she was a little confused to see Mommy pregnant the night before and now with a baby in the morning.






So happy to have our boy here!



More pictures to come!!



No comments:

Post a Comment